It all started when woman went to her eye doctor to see about swelling on her left upper eyelid.
At first, an MRI showed a cyst as the cause, but when doctors went in to operate they were shocked to find a contact lens embedded in the upper eyelid tissue. The contact was a specific kid, a rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact, that the patient had not worn in 28 years.
Doctors believe it became embedded after the patient received a blow to the eye during a game of badminton as a child. She assumed it flew out of her eye at the time, but the contact remained in the woman’s eye until the skin encapsulated the entire lens.
After removing the lens from her eye, her initial concerns and swelling died down.