PHOENIX – The annual Fiesta Bowl Parade will recognize women in sports as this year’s theme. In conjunction with that theme, Amy Bockerstette, Julie Ertz, Jessica McDonald, Allysa Seely, Diana Taurasi will serve as Grand Marshals for the parade this Dec. 28 in Central Phoenix.
Each of these women have Arizona ties and one common attribute, they are winners.
- Amy Bockerstette: Special Olympics golfer, the first Special Olympics athlete to receive a full college athletic scholarship
- Julie Ertz: U.S. Women’s National Soccer player, 2017 U.S. Soccer Player of the Year and not to mention, two World Cup championships under her belt.
- Jessica McDonald: U.S. Women’s National Soccer player, first NWSL player to reach 33 regular-season goals according to ussoccer.com. Player on 2019 World Cup Champion team.
- Allysa Seely: ESPY award winner for Best Female Athlete with a Disability. 2016 Paralympic Games gold medalist and three-time ITU Paratriathalon World Champion.
- Diana Taurasi: Women’s Basketball player, possibly the best women’s player in history. She was the number one pick in the 2004 WNBA Draft for the Phoenix Mercury, Olympic Gold Medalist (4), WNBA Champion (3). 2009 WNBA MVP and 2018 WNBA Cares Community Assist award winner.
You can catch this event on Saturday, Dec. 28, 2019 at 9 a.m. There are no admission fees, but there are premium and reserved seating available for $30. For more information read their press release.